Thursday, September 23, 2010



I'm big on ideas. I have notebooks full of promising potential projects and folders full of ideas for every area of my life: Bible studies, new work programs, recipes, kids' craft projects, travel itineraries, and lists of books I'd like to read and classes I'd love to take. The picture shows just a selection of projects "in the works" from my desk (and this doesn't include my various to-do list files and notes). I think I've even influenced my kids, whose favorite new phrase is, "I have a good idea, Mommy!"


I'm not lacking in direction(s) or interest, but my follow through is a little rusty. When I think of actually implementing any of these ideas, I get overwhelmed by the possibilities and the inertia of laziness takes over. It's so much easier to stay in the comfort and security of the status quo, even when I'm fighting against it. I wish I could have a job where I could just brainstorm ideas. I think I'd be a champ at that. Does such a thing exist? But I guess there isn't a lot of growth for me in that.


I think the sheer vastness of my generated ideas does not point to my creativity, but to my feelings of being stuck. I can come up with all kinds of thoughts on getting unstuck, but I still have to take that leap of faith from here into the great unknown. Although I don't enjoy feeling stuck, the discomfort is at least a familiar place to dwell for the moment. I'm praying that I will have the courage to take the steps I need and that the right ideas will "stick" (in a good way this time) and lead to areas of growth for myself and those whom I serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment