Saturday, July 16, 2011

Catching up

I feel like I haven't posted in forever.  I've been in a bit of a social media overload, with trying to figure out and incorporate Google+.  I'm also noticing a disturbing trend that since I got my iPhone I'm online much of the time, but not doing anything substantial.  I'm surfing and noting what my friends are up to, but it's limiting my abilities (and time) to actually connect.  I'm taking in a lot of info and ideas, but not really processing or using any of it. 

There's also been a lot going on in life:

-my car was rear-ended, costing $1200 in damages that I have to pay as the woman who hit me gave me incorrect information and I can't track her down

-the next day, we found out my husband's company is shutting down

-Fortunately, (thanks be to God, friends with connections, and my husband's determination) he had a job offer within a day and has started a new job he loves

-Unfortunately, our health insurance costs have risen to $782 a month (fortunately, we have good health and insurance). 

-Our beloved babysitter of over two years found a new job and left us on little notice.  We are all quite attached and I consider her part of the family.  Tears were shed, but we are blessed that she will still be in our lives and will still be able to watch the kids for some occasional date nights.  We think we have found a replacement, but she has big shoes to fill!

-several friends have had babies in the past few weeks and it's been a joy to share in their excitement.  It's also been a gift to realize the completeness of our own family!

-New opportunities are hopefully on the horizon, which leads to both excitement and anxiety.

-Brady starts kindergarten in about a month!  Maryn will be going to preschool full-time as well, which is more of a concern.

-Finished the Harry Potter saga with a date night screening of the final movie.  What a bittersweet moment.  He's been part of our lives as long as John and I have been together, and we've enjoyed sharing the books and movies.

Harry Potter offered me a chance to reflect on my own journey through the past few years.  There have been so many ups and downs, mostly one following another.  In a sense it's been a good reminder of God's provision and of the uselessness of worrying (not that I can help it).  The past couple of years have been good lessons in opening my heart to gratitude and opening my eyes to the beauty surrounding me.  Perhaps it was preparing me all along for a time such as this.

No comments:

Post a Comment