Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Things you learn in June (synchroblog)


This post is part of a synchroblog at Chatting at the Sky:
http://www.chattingatthesky.com/2013/06/28/lets-share-the-things-we-learned-in-june/

I've dreamed of becoming a writer my whole life.  My pride was somewhat deflated in seminary when a professor returned a paper with the comment, "You could be a good writer." It seemed more like pointing out my failure than praise.  After struggling with fear, doubt, procrastination, and downplaying my own work while uplifting others', I'm finally claiming the title writer after having a few things published over the past months, the latest being an essay in this fantastic compilation:


I also had an essay included in this book, released in November:



In spite of these and writing on this blog for several years now, I was hesitant to label myself as a writer.  I don't know what I was waiting for (the worldwide acclaim is unlikely to happen).  I suspect it's that inner voice of fear that I'm not good enough or won't be taken seriously.  But the message I keep receiving time and time again from different venues is that fear doesn't win; love does.  I need to start listening and living like I believe that.

I saw something on Pinterest that said "too many people undervalue what they are, and overvalue what they are not."  I compare myself to others and feel defeated, and yet the only one I should be comparing myself to is me.  Am I reaching my goals and God-given potential?  Am I serving authentically in love?  Am I engaging my passion?

Writing for me is about expression and connection.  It is a release that helps me to find meaning (and God) in the chaotic messiness of real life.  It is a need, and much as rest and sustenance.  I write because it is part of who I am...a writer.






No comments:

Post a Comment