Saturday, October 19, 2013

Being a Sanctuary for my children (or why I won't be sharing as many cute stories on Facebook); #31 Days to Sanctuary day 17




I often get the comment, "I just love reading your Facebook posts!"  I consider myself a bit of a social media guru, using Facebook, Twitter, and my blog to share about ministry events and as my own creative outlet.  Writing for me is a spiritual discipline as it helps me, an introvert, to process and reflect on my experiences and thoughts.  My blog has been like a therapist, helping me to relieve my parenting angst.  When I felt most alone, I was encouraged by my online community that responded, “Me too!”  Facebook serves as my online journal.  As a busy mom, I don't have time to scrapbook, so it becomes a collection of pictures, a log of our family activities, and a repository of cute kid stories and sayings that I can look back on and remember.  The latter is usually the source of people's delight in my Facebook posts.  My children are 5 and 7, and due to their strong-willed and precocious nature, they provide great story material.  

Although I have read blog posts about the dangers of oversharing and have friends that won't even use the real names of their children online, I haven't been concerned.  Something about the removed nature of this form of sharing gives me a false sense of security.  But unfortunately, I have learned a difficult lesson...

Read more at the Ministry and Motherhood blog:  http://ministryandmotherhood.com/2013/10/17/being-a-sanctuary-for-my-children/



No comments:

Post a Comment